Tuesday, November 26, 2013

when "d" became "D"

Yesterday, as I saw D (my husband, whom I will refer to as D from now on) through the metal grill, which separates the ladies and gents compartments in  Bombay local trains, he came across as the most handsome man in my range of vision. Having told you where I was, you can just imagine the sheer number of mankind there was in this field of view. Now, handsome is not how one can describe my husband usually. Sure, he has a boyish charm and a cute smile but I cant be as unfair as to say that girls will go weak in the knees by just looking at him. He has an endearing personality but you have to know him to like him. He is definitely no M&B man. But yesterday he looked practically dashing! This phenomenon puzzled me and I started to think as to how and when did this happen. This also reminded me why I chose to spend my life with him rather than my previous love interests. And it started looking like a story that I could tell here.
I have grown up in an all girls' convent school and did not have any mention-able interaction with the opposite sex till I was 18. In college, I went through a series of relationships (potential post alert) without much time interval between two. This, I regret. D was my friend for two years before I realized that I cared for him more than a "just friend" would. One day. we were returning after watching a  rom-com and predictably I was thinking about how the couple in the movie were perfect for each other and how similar D and I were to those characters. I just blurted out that "you better get married to me". This worked like a bucket of cold water on his head and he clammed up. I, on the other hand, was slapping myself in my head and thinking just why did I say what I said. After half an hour of a pregnant pause,( if you can call that long a pause a pause), he said to me that he adored me since the last two years and never had the guts to say it to me. He said he couldn't believe his ears and then thought that maybe I was joking as always. Then we both sat in silence and decided that I wasn't joking and this "us" was a good possibility. This is how we started a bit shakily but gradually to fall for each other and after 5 years still haven't touched ground yet.
Now, coming to the sudden improvement in his looks, I feel that since I have been pregnant and since he has realized that he will be a father soon, the boy in him has grown up in leaps and bounds and the man shines through more often. Of course, he is just 28 right now and accepts that it does feel a tad too soon but he also feels that it will be better in the long run for both us and the kid.
I also have this nagging feeling that nature, automatically, makes the father more attractive to the expectant mother and vice versa so that they make safe voyage through this, more or less, sexless time in their relationship. Whatever be the reason but yesterday I felt immensely in love with my man. 

No comments:

Post a Comment